Join me in the beautiful Martis Valley in Truckee under the Milky Way as we cover fundamentals of photographing our Galaxy on a dark night with a digital SLR camera before the moon rises at 12:10AM. I will share with you the following strategies and techniques:
- How to plan for shooting the core of the galaxy with the Smartphone App "The Photographer's Ephemeris"
- Techniques to shoot the Milky Way over landscape elements
- How to shoot multiple exposures to later blend them together
We will meet at 9:30 PM in the Martis Valley Wildlife Area parking lot, between Truckee and Northstar, go over gear, and then shoot from 9:30 to 11:30pm.
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Warm clothes
- Water and Snacks
- Digital SLR Camera and Lens, preferably wide angle and with a wide (f/2.8) aperture
- Tripod and Remote Release Cable / Wifi Button
- Smartphone with The Photographer's Ephemeris App installed if you wish to follow along in the very important planning part of class at the beginning
- I will have Canon-mount lenses for students to try
Students must be able to comfortably and safely walk over uneven ground on a mostly level hiking trail, which may be covered in dirt and/or mud. Students will be required to sign a liability waiver to participate in this class.
As this class takes place in the outdoors, it is subject to weather. If the weather forecast is determined to be unsafe or conducive to photography, students will be notified as far in advance of the class as possible. The alternative date for this class is the next day. If the alternative date is not suitable to your schedule, or if both dates experience inclement weather, Atelier will offer you a voucher towards a future workshop equal in value to the cost of this one.